The coming winter is going to be an interesting time for all of us. With a low-pressure system predicted to bring cold temperatures and severe winds to Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, eastern NSW, and southern Queensland, it’s difficult to say what will happen to transportation in these states!
However, other people are looking forward to activities like skiing or hiking through ice-covered landscapes during this frigid season. Thus, if you are planning to have your next getaway this winter season it is best to read some articles and have a great plan.
It’s important to know the best places to visit in Australia, and make sure you’re in the right season. Our country is known for outback safaris and vibrant cities, but there are only a few places in Australia where you can see snow in 2022. That’s why we’re taking a closer look at the places where you can visit in Australia during the winter season.
If you’re looking for things to do this winter season in Australia, then you’ll probably find that it’s best to head to the snow-filled ski resorts in July. If you look at a weather forecast, then you’ll probably find that it says that snow falls in Australia from time to time.
The Aussie ski season starts in June which is a month when many people think that Australia is still quite hot. But the fact is that snow almost always falls in the Aussie ski resorts in early July. That’s when most of the resorts open for the ski season and people will flock to get some skiing in before it melts. Although the ski season starts in June, there’s usually not enough snow to have all the ski trails open at that time.
So, if you’re keen on doing some skiing, it’d be best to wait until July when much more snowfall occurs.
In Australia, there is no such thing as a snow season. The country can only see the beauty of snow for a few days each year. In 2022, only a few areas of Australia are predicted to see snow. The following are the top destinations on our list:
- Kosciuszko National Park/Thredbo-Perisher region (NSW) – The Thredbo-Perisher region of NSW is a popular destination for those who want to experience the beauty that only Australia can offer. The area’s highest peaks and largest mountain, Kosciuszko, attracts visitors from all around the world to look at their finest viewpoint – up close!
One way you’ll get an even better feeling of this unique place comes with snow skiing from June through September when conditions are perfect; not too cold but still fresh enough so your trip doesn’t feel wasted if it doesn’t happen while visiting other times of the year.
- Apsley Falls National Park (NSW) – Apsley Falls National Park is a UNESCO world heritage site located in the Blue Mountains of New South Wales, Australia. The park is home to some of Australia’s most iconic natural features, including falls, rock pools, and gorges.
The falls are fed by the Woronora River and are among the highest waterfalls in Australia. They can be reached by foot or by several trails from nearby Apsley Village.
- Mount Hotham (Victoria) – Mount Hotham is a mountain with an elevation of 2,922 metres in the Victorian Alps, located within the Alpine National Park, approximately 160 kilometres north-east of Melbourne and 80 kilometres south-east of Albury. The mountain is the second highest in Victoria after Mount Bogong.
It is the location of the Mount Hotham ski resort, which claims to be the highest altitude ski resort in Australia. The ski season in Mount Hotham usually starts in June and finishes in August, but the Australian ski season is from mid-June to mid-October, because of the southern latitude.
If your group is planning to stay in a motel near Mount Hotham, you don’t have to worry about the availability of the lodging. You can also rent a room in some of the self-catering apartments. There are many types of lodgings in Mount Hotham.
- Kunanyi/Mount Wellington (Tasmania) – Mount Wellington is a mountain in the centre of Hobart, Tasmania, Australia. It is the second tallest mountain in Tasmania and the thirteenth tallest mountain in Australia. It is also known as the Mount or The Nut. The mountain is part of the Wellington Range, which is itself part of the Tasmanian Central Highlands, a rugged mountain range with an area of about 500 square kilometres.
The mountain is contained within the Wellington Park with Pinnacle Road occasionally being closed throughout the winter due to icy conditions, but you can typically climb at least part of the way up and walk to the snow.
- Corin Forest Mountain Resort (ACT) – Corin Forest Mountain Resort is a snow resort for the whole family. Corin Forest is found 2.5 hours from Canberra and three hours from Sydney. The resort is nestled in the beautiful Brindabella Ranges and has a variety of runs for beginners and intermediate skiers and snowboarders.
Corin Forest has a range of accommodation options, from backpackers to luxury cabins. There is also a range of accommodation options available near the resort in the town of Corin Forest.
- Bluff Knoll (Western Australia) – Bluff Knoll is a winter wonderland of a national park. It’s one of the only places in Western Australia to get snow, as it’s located in the region of the Stirling Range National Park. Bluff Knoll only gets snow a couple of times each year, but when it does, it’s a big deal.
Western Australia is an arid place, with most of the land being a desert, so snow is a rare sight. To make things even better, Bluff Knoll has found a short drive from Perth. Just follow the Stirling Range Highway, and you’ll find yourself in the middle of a winter wonderland. The national park is open year-round, so even if you don’t get to see any snow, it’s still worth a visit.
Winter is the season when people love to stay warm and cosy in their homes. The cold winds and the heavy snow can make this difficult in the northern parts of the country. If you live in a city that gets a lot of snow, you will need to be prepared.
Preparation is the key to surviving winter, especially if you live in a region where the temperature drops below freezing for months. If you don’t prepare for the winter, you could end up having to stay inside for most of the season.
Many people don’t consider their needs for the winter until they are forced to. If you own a business, you will want to make sure you are ready for any type of weather that may occur. There are plenty of things you can do to prepare for the winter months. The first thing you should consider is getting a snowplough vehicle for your business location.
If the weather gets bad, you are going to need the ability to clear your parking lot. You don’t want to have to shut down your business due to a lack of parking. You should also consider installing some new window coverings. Your windows are very important to your business. If you have draughty windows or ones that let in a lot of sunlight, you are going to have a hard time keeping you warm. You can solve this with some new curtains.
The winter in Australia is shaping up to be a particularly interesting one, with snowfall reported in some parts of the country for the first time in decades. While this may come as a surprise to those who aren’t familiar with Australia’s climate, it looks like we’re in for a chilly season this year! If you happen to be visiting this winter, make sure you pack your warmest clothes – you never know when the temperature might take a turn for the worse.